Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Pasta Sauce


I love this recipe given to me by Joey's sister Missy. It makes a huge amount of sauce, perfect for sharing with friends and for bottling. Love it, love it. I wanted to post it and was reminded today that I should

1 lb. maple sausage (I use maple breakfast links pushed out of their casings)
1 lb. ground spicy sausage
4 cans Italian tomatoes (15 oz. size)
2 cans tomato paste
2 cans tomato sauce
2 tsp. minced garlic (or two cloves)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning

Brown the sausage in a large pan. Blend sausage, tomatoes, paste and sauce in a blender (I do it in two batches) until you reach the desired thickness (pretty weird throwing meat in a blender, but it makes a great sauce). Return meat and sauce to a large pot over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Serve immediately or put in containers to freeze or take to friends. Enjoy!

No comments: