Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amish Friendship Bread


This is one of the best Friendship Bread recipes I have tried. It tastes like a cinnamon pound cake or coffee cake. My children love it and enjoy for breakfast with fruit.



For the starter, click here.

For the instructions on baking and taking care of your starter, click here.

For those of you who feel guilt about having extra starter or don't know know who to share the bread with, you can always stop the starter: On day 10, simply skip the step of adding 1 1/2 cups each flour, sugar and milk and dividing between four batches. Move on to the instructions for baking the bread using the single starter you have. You will then be done with the starter and done with the chain.

*I make mine with white whole wheat flour, skim milk and extra virgin olive oil because that is what I have in my pantry. It tastes phenomenal and is an adaptive recipe. I've also made it with egg beaters instead of eggs and it still turns out just fine. This way, I don't feel so badly about eating it for breakfast : )

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Thank you Shellie!!! I asked my Mother in law for a recipe a while back and she never got it to me. I love that I can count on you for you recipes!! Thanks for posting! Oh and I found my list of the 25 days of Christmas I got from you! I hope all is going well for you and thanks for sharing your talents!